Saturday, November 1, 2008


These little beauties are truffles - the real deal Italian black and white truffles (you'd be amazed how many people only associate the term 'truffle' with chocolate). Once a year or so - I splurge on some truffles - and a large group of my friends get together and have a total blow out. I am not a good wine drinker - so this is my real extravagance.
The black ones will be mostly cooked with - but the white ones... well, they are really special - and deserve special treatment - and a light hand. Shaved over Risotto Bianca (finished with marscapone and perhaps a raw egg yolk). Their fragrance and flavour is almost as indescribable as it mindblowingly delicous. Rich, earthy, garlicky with an almost toasted grain sweetness. And without trying to be creepy - sexy. The underlying flavors are honest and real - there is no contrivance or false luxury.
True, they are incredibly pricey, but that is neither here or there - in fact, I'm the kind of guy that prefers avoids expensive food for its own sake. But there are times when the price of admission is worth it.
I did not try my first fresh white truffle until I was almost 40 - and the lesson I learned was that no matter how jaded you think your palate is - there are always new flavors and experiences to savor. And if you are lucky - you get to share it with friends.

1 comment:

vanchoy said...

wow, your piece made me drool.. especially after 3 days of consuming endless mountain goats in this part of the world. i can't wait til you put your apron on and GET IN to making me a memorable meal of white truffle. remember i've known you since grade 11, so that more than qualifies me as "your friend"!

piece well written, keep them coming, i'm your first and faithful follower!